[Image via Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection]
The apartments seen in this week’s Cornerspotter looked like a bummer back then but are probably highly coveted today; as commenter/neighbor Hanniball guessed, this is the southwest corner of Griffith Park Boulevard and St. George Street, just across the street from John Marshall High School in beautiful Franklin Hills. As he or she points out, the building on the site today appears to be the exact same one seen in this late-1930s photo—a white paint job and some new neighbors can really make a joint look less depressing. St. Casimir Lithuanian Catholic Church went up on that dirt lot in 1951, according to the LA Public Library’s caption on the photo.
· Where Was This Gloomy Apartment Building in the 1930s? [Curbed LA]