With the warm and sunny weather, it feels like spring is already here. Thanks to a bunch of rain this winter, wildflowers are popping up everywhere from Griffith Park in Los Feliz to Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area in Baldwin Hills, and hillsides are ridiculously verdant where once they were sad and brown.
If the sunshine, 70-degree temperatures, and colorful flora aren’t enough of a reason to get outside and into the city’s gorgeous parks, perhaps the final push can come from seeing happy dogs meeting friends, sniffing things, and panting heavily with the satisfaction that only a brisk hike can bring.
Whether off leash or on, in a designated area or not, adorable dogs always play a role in the backdrop of any city park. We’ve rounded up 18 of the best pictures of dogs across the area taking advantage of these public resources and of LA’s famously wonderful climate. Enjoy!
- A puggle in Griffith Park, just east of the tennis courts by the Greek Theatre.
A post shared by Jason Wise (@jasonjourneyman) on Mar 2, 2017 at 9:53am PST
2. This terrier named Chelsea is getting her paws muddy in Ernest E. Debs Park.
A post shared by chelsea the terrier (@chelseatheterrier) on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:59pm PST
3. This Doodle is focused on the road ahead in Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area.
A post shared by @jkatell on Feb 25, 2017 at 2:57pm PST
4. Over in Runyon Canyon, Elvis the Chihuahua and his buddy Clarence are working off all the treats they ate at last weekend.
Perfect day for a Runyon hike with #elvisthechi & #clarencethedog Elvis has superb listening skills at Runyon. He is behaved everywhere he goes and is the perfect gentleman. We have a giant crush on him. ❤️️❤️️ – – – #maedayrescue #maedaydog #runyoncanyon #chihuahua #chihuahuas #chisofig #instachi #instachihuahua #instachihuahuas #chihuahuaofinstagram #chihuahuasofinstagram #chihuahuasoninstagram #ayechihuahua #adoptme
A post shared by Los Angeles Dog Rescue (@maedayrescue) on Mar 1, 2017 at 1:17pm PST
5. This little dog looks like he’s going to get blown away in Ascot Hills Park.
A post shared by mister squinter (@mistersquinter) on Feb 28, 2017 at 4:45pm PST
6. This Pitbull pup named Lillie is hoofin’ it through Elysian Park.
A post shared by Lilie (@lilie_lepit) on Feb 27, 2017 at 9:54am PST
7. This little mutt did not expect scary turtles in the pond at Ernest E. Debs park.
A post shared by Doniella Davy (@donni.makeup) on Feb 22, 2017 at 11:06pm PST
8. Who among us has not felt this way at the end of a Runyon Canyon hike?
A post shared by Patrick Ryan Grady (@peegravy) on Feb 28, 2017 at 6:30pm PST
9. This older pooch is catching some rays at Lake Balboa Park.
A post shared by Colin Conrad (@ceeceebirdie) on Feb 25, 2017 at 6:14pm PST
10. This Doodle named Charcoal is quenching his thirst at Grand Park.
A post shared by The Therapy Doodle (@charcoal.bear) on Feb 20, 2017 at 7:20am PST
11. This pack at Wildwood Canyon Park looks pretty ruff.
A post shared by Piper (@malibupiper) on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:58pm PST
12. This Boston Terrier, obviously a seasoned hiker, looks a little pooped at Will Rogers State Historic Park.
A post shared by Chelsea (@chelseadeeee) on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:32pm PST
13. This Shiba Inu in Franklin Canyon Park is going to win this staring contest.
14. This Shihtzu is really thinking about taking the whole bench for himself.
Enjoying the view on morning walk #morningwalk #ilovemyshihtzu #wetface #shihtzunation #shihtzu #shihtzusociety #shihtzulovers2 #shihtzulove #shihtzulife #shihtzusociety #igfamily #igshihtzu #instashihtzu #lovedogs #lovedog #cute #2tzu
A post shared by Wendogg (@wen_n_2tzu) on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:29am PST
15. These puppy pals at Angels Gate Park have all the fluff of an 80s hair band.
A post shared by Kimberly Montaner (@kimfluence) on Feb 23, 2017 at 1:01pm PST
16. This Chocolate Lab is camouflaged with the rocks at Portuguese Bend Reserve.
A post shared by Shaka 32 (@sarner32) on Feb 9, 2017 at 9:01am PST
17. Obi Wan Kenobi the Pug is the star of an independent film shooting on location at the Echo Park Lake.
A post shared by Obi Wan Kanobi & Leonidas (@naked_pug) on Nov 28, 2016 at 9:27pm PST
18. This spotted little pup named Pepper is taking a break from skateboarding to chill on the lawn at Barnsdall Park.
A post shared by mikcire (@mikcire) on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:24pm PST